Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Arenas' Silence Will Cost Him


The NBA recently fined both Gilbert Arenas and The Washington Wizards $25,000 after Arenas repeatedly refused to participate in pre-season interviews and/or press conferences before and after exhibition games. The fact that Arenas has been shying away from the media spotlight lately has some people confused. Early on is his career Arenas was known for putting himself out there for the world to see. Arenas was known for speaking his mind and his out-going personality; he gave interviews willingly, shot commercials and even had his own blog.

Now that Arenas is back from his injuries, which have sidelined him for the last two season, he says he is just focused on playing ball. "I don't feel like speaking anymore, I just want to go out there and play. If I'm not going to get fined, I don't think you're going to hear from me again. I don't have a blog. I don't have a tweeter. When I was entertaining all you guys focused on was my words. Now I'd rather you just focus on my basketball." Honestly, I can't say that I blame him. His only mistake was putting himself out there in the first place. So many professional athletes are becoming "celebrity star athletes" and it's fun for a while, but the constant attention can get tiring. At this time, Arenas is trying to work hard, come back from his injuries and have a successful season, he probably doesn't want any distractions and having to answer to the media before and after games is the last thing he wants to do.

Arenas has since declined to comment on the fine, but did say, "I'm not the entertainer anymore." Many athletes view the media as a fair-weather friend; when they're doing well and helping their team the media loves them and is constantly praising them. But they minute they don't perform the media is all over them, and the fans unfortunately will follow. Message boards will fill up with comments like: "Why doesn't he stop blogging and tweeting and get in the gym and start practicing more."

No comments:

Post a Comment